A deliciously tart shortbread-like cookie that packs a punch of fresh lemon flavor. Perfectly buttery, light and crispy, these lemon poppyseed cookies are perfect for pairing with a glass of milk or a cup of tea any time of day.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 TBSP Meyer lemon zest (from approx 2 Meyer lemons)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from one large Meyer lemon)
- 1 TBSP vanilla bean paste
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppyseeds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sanding sugar for sprinkling
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and poppyseeds until combined well. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light in color, about 3 minutes. Do not over mix.
- Add the egg yolk, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla bean paste, mixing on low speed until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in 2 additions, mixing on low speed until just barely combined.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and flatten into two discs. Wrap each disc of dough tightly in clear plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place one disc of dough between two sheets of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a 3 inch circular cookie or biscuit cutter to cut circles and use a metal spatula to transfer them to the prepared cookie sheets. Leave one inch between each cookie, they will not spread.
- Place cookies on cookie sheets in freeze for 15 minutes to chill.
- Meanwhile, continue rolling and cutting circles with remaining dough.
- Beat the egg white with a whisk until slightly foamy. Remove the cookie sheet from the freezer and use a pastry brush to cover the tops of cookies with the beaten egg white. Top each cookie with a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the edges fo the cookies begin to turn a golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the best flavor, use Meyer lemons for the zest and juice.
Cookies freeze well. Wrap tightly and place in freezer for up to 2 months.