These easy brown butter chocolate chip blondies are crispy and gooey in all the right places. Made in under an hour with just 8 simple ingredients, these one pan wonders are a fan favorite for all occasions!
- 11 TBSP unsalted butter, browned
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 heaping cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate if desired)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper
- To brown the butter, the butter in a large saucepan on medium high
- Melt butter, stirring only occasionally
- Once melted, begin stirring often
- Butter will crackle and pop as it browns and it will start to foam slightly
- Once sizzling sound stops, continue stirring often until golden brown bits begin to collect on the bottom of the pan. The butter will smell slightly nutty and aromatic.
- Remove from heat, pour into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and allow to cool slightly – – about 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt
- Once butter is cooled, add brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix until well combined and sugar is dissolved (about 1 minute)
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. Mixture will be smooth and glossy
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until barely combined, some bits of flour will still be visible
- Do not overmix
- Gently fold in chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate and mix gently until all combined
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges are golden brown and center is set
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.
Recipe adapted from Food52.
Store remaining blondies tightly covered for up to 3 days.
May be frozen.
To make gluten free, substitute all purpose and bread flour for gluten free 1-1 baking flour. If gluten free flour blend does not contain xanthum gum, add 1 teaspoon to the dry ingredients.