These ultimate s’mores brownie cupcakes are a dangerously delicious twist on everyone’s favorite summertime classic. Complete with a crunchy graham cracker crust, rich fudge brownie center and a super fluffy brown sugar frosting, this is one dessert you’ll be making all summer long.
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 7 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
For Brownie Cupcake
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I use 70% cocao)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 medium eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Melted semi sweet chocolate and salted caramel for drizzling. (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Set aside.
- Use a food processor fitted with the blade attachment to finely ground the graham crackers.
- Add the sugar and melted butter, pulse to combine well.
- Use a spoon to place 1 -2 tablespoons of crushed graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Use your hands of the flat end of an object to press the crust down firmly so there are no loose crumbs. Set aside.
For Brownie Cupcake
- Set the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl over a double boiler, making sure the bowl does not touch the water below. Simmer over medium heat and melt the butter and chocolate together, stirring often. Remove from the heat once the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Whisk in the sugar and vanilla.
- Allow the chocolate to cool for 5-10 minutes and then add the eggs.
- Whisk until combined.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder. Mix until just barely combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter on top of the graham cracker crust, filling almost to the top of the liner.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownie comes out with just a few crumbs remaining. If the center is still wet, continue baking.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
For Brown Sugar Meringue Frosting
- Place egg whites, sugar and cream of tarter in the metal bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whisk to combine and then set the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Be careful that the bowl is not touching the water below.
- Whisking constantly, the sugar will dissolve and the eggs will begin to foam on top. This takes about 4-5 minutes.
- When eggs are warm to the touch, transfer the bowl to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on high speed for 5-6 minutes until stiff peaks form. Add in the vanilla during the last minute of mixing. The mixture will be glossy.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe the frosting onto the cooled brownie cupcakes.
- *Note: if making large, tall swirls you may need to double the frosting recipe in order to frost all 12 cupcakes.
- Use a kitchen torch to toast the frosting or drizzle with melted chocolate and salted caramel if desired.
Brownie cupcakes can be made ahead and frozen before frosting.
Store cupcakes in a cool, dry place.
Recipe inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction and The Loopy Whisk.