It doesn’t get any better than a gooey, chewy s’mores cookie loaded with crunchy graham crackers, fluffy marshmallows and salted caramels. All the fun of a s’mores without the fuss of finding a flame!
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, plus one egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups (345 grams) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 heaping cups chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet or dark)
- about 8 full size marshmallows
- 16 soft caramels (I like Werther’s Caramels), sliced into 3 small pieces
- Slice the marshmallows in half and place in the freezer while you make the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer), mix the cold butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on low speed. Gradually increase the speed and cream the butter and sugars together for about 4 minutes, until pale and fluffy. There should be no visible chunks of butter in the mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg and egg yolk, one at time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl between each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture in two additions. Mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add the graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips all at once and mix with a large spatula or wooden spoon. Do not over mix the dough.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a large cookie scoop to divide the dough into 2 ounce cookie dough balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 to 3 inches apart. The cookies will spread in the oven.
- Use your thumb or the bottom of a tablespoon to press a well into the center of each cookie. Place 1/2 of a large marshmallow into the well. Add 2 to 3 bits of the caramels around the marshmallow. Use your hands to pull the cookie dough up and over the marshmallow and caramel, covering it completely.
- Roll the cookie dough balls between the palms of your hands until smooth. Work quickly so that the dough does not get too warm.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 9 to 10 minutes. The cookies are done when the edges are set and golden brown and the centers are puffy and slightly underbaked.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a cooling rack.
Cookies are best the day they are made.
Store cookies tightly covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To freeze the cookies, cool completely and then wrap in a layer of plastic wrap. Place in a large freezer bag and store flat for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature or in a warm 300°F oven for 5-6 minutes.
Keywords: s'mores cookies, s'mores chocolate chip cookies