Rich, fudgy small batch brownies made in a loaf pan with just 7 simple ingredients. This foolproof recipe is the perfect dessert for two!
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate bar)
- 1/4 cup (57 g) salted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup (92 g), minus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (24 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup (63 grams) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
- flakey sea salt, for sprinkling on top
Note: If using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the batter when you add the flour and cocoa powder.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick baking spray and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper. Allow the edges of the parchment to hang an inch or two over the edges of the pan for easy removal of the brownies once baked.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler on low heat. Stir frequently until smooth and shiny. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave in 30 second increments at 50% power.
- Once melted, add the sugars and whisk until well combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the egg and vanilla and whisk to combine well. The batter will be smooth and shiny.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder (and salt if using unsalted butter). Use a large spatula to fold the batter together, being careful not to over mix. Stir only until a few streaks of flour and cocoa remain.
- Fold in the chocolate chips if using.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the edges are set and a toothpick inserted an inch or two from the edge of the pan comes out clean or with a few crumbs remaining.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack before slicing into squares.
- Sprinkle with flakey sea salt before serving if desired.
If using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the batter with flour and cocoa powder.
Store brownies tightly covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
May be frozen for up to three months.
Keywords: small batch brownies, brownies for two, loaf pan brownies