These easy and delicious pumpkin chocolate muffins are ridiculously moist and full of warm fall spices and swirls of melted chocolate. Freeze them for an quick weekday breakfast or afternoon snack.
- 1 1/2 cups (190 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 2/3 cup (135 g) granulated sugar
- 2/3 (135 g) cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate for swirls, melted and slightly cooled, or 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugars, vegetable oil, pumpkin, eggs and buttermilk until well combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and gently fold together using a wooden spoon or spatula. Do not over mix. A few streaks of flour remaining is okay.
- Divide batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling 3/4 of the way full.
- Spoon 2-3 small dollops of melted chocolate (about 1 teaspoon) on top of each muffin and use a toothpick to swirl the chocolate and pumpkin together. Just one or two swirls will do the trick.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes or until muffins start to rise and tops begin to dome. Do not open the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake for 7-8 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the top comes out clean. Bake for extra time if needed.
Serve warm from the oven.
To freeze muffins, cool completely and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and seal in a large plastic bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To defrost, leave out at room temperature for 30 minutes or reheat in the microwave for 15 seconds.
Keywords: pumpkin chocolate muffins, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins