Two pillowy soft peanut butter cookies dusted with sugar and joined by a swirl of fluffy peanut butter mousse. This delectable sandwich cookie is a peanut butter lover’s dream!
- Recipe excerpted from The Cookie Collection by Brian Hart Hoffman
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I use Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
For Peanut Butter Mousse
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (I use Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter)
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Line a single baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add egg and egg yolk, mixing well to combine.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla bean paste, beating until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add flour to the butter and egg mixture, beating on low speed until just combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough into mounds and place on prepared pan.
- To ensure all cookies are the same size once baked, weight the cookies. I made them 26 grams each.
- Place pan in the refrigerator to chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in a small bowl and roll each mound of dough into a ball in the palm of your hands. Roll each ball in the sugar, coating completely.
- Place cookie balls 2 1/2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- If desired, press the tops of the cookies down with the tines of a fork, making a crosshatch design. Or use the bottom of a measuring cup or glass to gently press the cookie dough down so the surface is flat but the cookie is still thick.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes.
- Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
For Peanut Butter Mousse
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese at medium speed until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the confectioner’s sugar in two additions, alternating with the heavy cream.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Place the mousse into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe a swirl of peanut butter mousse onto the flat side of one cookie and then top with another cookie.
- Refrigerate the assembled sandwich cookies for about 30-45 minutes until the filling is set.
Recipe excerpted from The Cookie Collection by Brian Hart Hoffman.
Store cookies tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
May be frozen.