A thick and fudgy molten lava brownie topped off with a swoosh of chocolate buttercream and a dash of flakey sea salt. These brownies are so extra in the very best way!
- 14 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 jar Molten Lava Chocolate Honey Spread from Bumbleberry Farms (may substitute 1/2 cup Nutella)
For Chocolate Buttercream
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and line a 9 x 9 ” square baking pan with parchment paper, covering the bottom and sides.
- Over a double boiler, melt together chocolate chips and butter until smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on medium speed.
- Once combined add the melted chocolate and mix on medium-high for 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate and egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Do not over mix.
- Measure out half the batter and pour into prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top so it’s level.
- Add most of the jar of molten lava honey spread to the top of the brownie batter and use spatula to smooth evenly.
- Add remaining brownie batter and smooth again.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted two inches from the side of the pan comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting the brownies.
For Chocolate Buttercream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, add the confectioner’s sugar and cocoa powder and mix until combined.
- Increase speed to high and mix 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, whole milk and salt.
- Mix on low and then increase speed to high and whip for one minute.
- Add more milk if frosting is too thick.
If you do not have Molten Lava Spread from Bumbleberry Farms, replace with 1/2 cup of regular nutella spread.
Store left over brownies in a cool, dry place. Best enjoyed within a day or two of baking.