Light and tender lemon poppy seed donuts with a refreshing citrus flavor. Topped with a sweet vanilla glaze, these baked donuts make a quick and delicious breakfast treat ready in just 20 minutes!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, spoon and leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP poppy seeds, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup full fat greek yogurt
- 1–2 TBSP lemon juice
- 3 tsp lemon zest, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 1/2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 4–6 TBSP whole milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, stir together sugar and lemon zest until combined.
- Add melted butter, egg, milk, yogurt, vanilla and lemon juice. Whisk to combine well.
- Add dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients in two batches. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients.
- Do not over mix. A few streaks of flour remaining is fine.
- Scoop the batter into a piping bag fitted with a large tip or into a large ziplock bag. Cut the end of the bag and pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling 3/4’s full.
- Bake the donuts for 8-10 minutes. Donuts are done when they spring back when pressed lightly. Edges should be a light golden brown.
- Do not over bake.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool complete.
- Dunk the tops of donuts in the glaze once cooled.
- Top with more poppy seeds and lemon zest if desired.
For Vanilla Glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a medium shallow bowl. Whisk to combine.
- If too thick, add more milk 1 TBSP at a time.
- If too thin, add more confectioner’s sugar.
- Dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze. Flip the donuts upright and rest on a cooling rack while glaze sets. Glaze will firm up as it sits.
Donuts are best served the same day they are made.
Store left over donuts in an air tight container at room temperature.
May be frozen.
For added lemon flavor, add 1-2 TBSP of lemon juice to the glaze.
Recipe inspired by Choosing Chia.