Look no further for the very best chocolate buttercream! A super chocolatey, light and fluffy, silky smooth buttercream perfect for frosting all of your favorite cakes, cupcakes, brownies and more. A chocolate lover’s dream!
1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1–2 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate while stirring constantly. Do not over heat.
- Once melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth and silky. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium high speed for 3 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer to low speed and carefully add the confectioner’s sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Once combined, increase speed to medium high and beat until smooth and silky, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and salt and beat on medium speed until incorporated.
- Stop mixer and scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add melted chocolate to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Switch from the paddle attachment to the whisk attachment and beat on high speed until light and fluffy. If buttercream is too thick, add one tablespoon of heavy cream at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Use to frost cooled cakes, cupcakes, brownies and quick breads.
May be made ahead. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. When ready to use, bring to room temperature and mix on medium high for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Use immediately.