These homemade salted caramel dark chocolate cups are a candy lover’s dream. The perfect no-bake sweet treat!
For the Chocolate
- 12 ounces high quality dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil, liquid
Fro the Salted Caramel
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Flakey sea salt for sprinkling
- Line a regular muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chopped chocolate and coconut oil for 30 seconds at at time until melted. Stirring in between each cycle.
- Once chocolate is fully melted, stir well to combine.
- Place 1 1/2 TBSP of melted chocolate into the bottom of a liner and use a pastry brush to “paint” some of the chocolate up the sides of the liner.
- Be careful to keep the chocolate at the same level all the way around the cup so you have a uniform candy once chilled.
- Repeat this process for all 12 muffin cups and then place the muffin tin in the freezer for 10 minutes or until chocolate is fully set.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and stir to fully combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Mixture will thicken.
- Add heavy cream, vanilla and salt and remove from heat.
- Stir to combine.
- Let caramel cool slightly before adding 2 tsp to the center of each chilled chocolate cup.
- Return the muffin tin to freezer for 10 minutes.
- Once caramel is set, add 1 1/2 TBSP of melted dark chocolate to tops of the cups being careful to spread evenly so the tops are smooth.
- Return the muffin tin to the freezer for 30 minutes or more until chocolate cups are frozen.
- Sprinkle tops with flakey sea salt before serving if desired.
- Serve cold or allow to return to room temperature.
Cook time includes chill time in freezer
Store caramel dark chocolate cups in an airtight container in freezer
Defrost slightly before serving or allow to return to room temperature if desired
Store any left over caramel in a glass jar in the refrigerator