A rich and decadent gluten free chocolate cake with a tender crumb and deep, dark chocolate taste. Crowned with a layer of smooth, dark chocolate ganache this cake is one that every baker needs in their recipe box.
For the Cake
- 2 cups plus 2 TBSP gluten free flour (I use Trader Joes gluten free flour blend or Cup4Cup
- 2/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthum gum
- 10 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup freshly brewed espresso or strong coffee
For the Ganache
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously spray the bottom and sides of a 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthum gum.
- Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy and pale in color.
- With mixer on low speed, add eggs one at at time until fully incorporated.
- Whisk together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.
- With mixer on low, add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture by alternating, beginning and ending with flour mixture in three additions until barely combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Add freshly brewed espresso and mix on low speed just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth the top using a spatula.
- Once filled, tap bundt pan firmly on countertop to release air bubbles.
- Bake on center rack in oven for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Place pan on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes and then invert cake onto a platter or plate and cool completely before adding the ganache glaze.
For the Ganache
- Place chocolate chips in a heat safe medium size bowl.
- Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
- Remove from heat and pour hot cream over chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until chocolate is fully melted and mixture is smooth.
- Allow glaze to sit for 5 minutes to thicken, stirring once.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake.
- Allow glaze to set before serving.
Store cake in a cool, dry place.
Gluten free cakes are best if enjoyed within one to two days of baking.