Rich and gooey flourless molten chocolate cakes ready in less than 30 minutes with just 7 ingredients? Yes please! Naturally gluten free so everyone can enjoy them.
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 6 mini cocottes or ramekins with butter, covering the sides and bottom. Dust with a little cocoa powder and then tip the containers over to let the excess fall out.
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips over a double boiler over medium low heat until smooth and shiny. Remove from the heat and add the salt and vanilla. Stir to combine well. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the egg yolks, brown sugar and cocoa powder. Mix for 2 minutes on medium high speed until well combined and thickened. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter mixture to the egg and sugar mixture. Mix for 20 seconds to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl once more.
- In a separate bowl using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy and thickened. Slowly add the granulated sugar one tablespoon at a time until the egg whites from stiff, glossy peaks.
- Add half of the egg white mixture to the chocolate mixture and fold with a spatula until barely combined. Add the remaining egg whites and fold until the batter is fully incorporated and no white streaks remain.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared ramekins and place them on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or until the tops are puffy and just begin to crack on top.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Keywords: flourless molten chocolate cakes, molten lava cakes