Swirls of vanilla and chocolate cake with mini chocolate chips and a rich chocolate ganache glaze. Easy to make and beautiful straight out of the pan, this cake is perfect for all occasions.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Danish Creamery European Style Butter with Sea Salt, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup full fat sour cream, room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
For Chocolate Syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed espresso
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease a 10-12 cup bundt pan with non stick cooking spray. Sprinkle with flour and turn over to remove excess. Set aside.
- To make the chocolate syrup add sugar, cocoa powder, espresso, and honey to a small saucepan. Stirring often, bring the mixture to a bowl. Reduce heat and simmer until no lumps appear. Whisk continuously.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add eggs one at time until fully incorporated. Stop mixer to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream and whole milk.
- Do not over mix. A few streaks of flour should remain.
- Add 1/2 TBSP of flour to a small bowl. Add mini chocolate chips and toss to coat.
- Remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in chocolate chips with a large spatula.
- Separate 1/3 of batter into a medium bowl and stir in the chocolate syrup. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine completely.
- Transfer half of the vanilla batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Scoop all of the chocolate batter on top and then repeat with the remaining vanilla batter.
- Using a table knife, gently swirl 3 to 4 figure eights into the batter, being sure to reach towards the bottom of the pan and pull up during the motion.
- Do not swirl the batter excessively or the marble will blend together rather than leaving distinct swirls.
- Tap bundt pan firmly on countertop 2-3 times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cake top should be golden brown and spring back when pressed gently.
- Cool cake on a wire rack in the pan for 25 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a plate or platter, tapping to release if needed.
- Cool cake completely before adding chocolate ganache glaze.
For Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- Heat heavy whipping cream over medium high heat in a small saucepan. Remove from heat once simmering, do not boil.
- Add chocolate to a medium bowl and pour hot cream over the top.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before whisking to combine.
- Let ganache sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to thicken.
- Pour over top of cake.
Recipe adapted from Irvin Lin’s Marbled, Swirled and Layered
May be frozen