Look no further for the perfect peanut butter cookie! Made with crispy edges, soft, chewy centers and loaded with delicious peanut butter flavor, these cookies can be made in just 20 minutes from start to finish!
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (220 g) creamy peanut butter (not all natural), room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg plus one egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup (188 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar, for rolling
- flakey sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, peanut butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes
- Add the egg, followed by the egg yolk and vanilla, mixing after each addition until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture and mix on medium low until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Place the extra 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop balls of dough. Roll the balls gently between the palms of your hands to make them uniform. Roll each ball in the bowl of sugar. Place the cookie dough balls on the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 to 3 inches between each cookie.
- Gently use the palm of your hand to lightly press down on the tops of the cookies. Do not flatten them.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until the tops of the cookies are puffy and cracked. Do not overbake. Remove the cookies from the oven. Sprinkle with extra sugar if desired. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. The cookies will deflate as they cool.
- Sprinkle with flakey sea salt before serving.
Store baked cookies tightly covered in a cool, dry place for up to 4 days.
To freeze cookie dough, portion out dough using a cookie scoop and freeze on a parchment lined baking sheet for 1 hour. Remove from the baking sheet and place in a large plastic freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
**Recipe originally published April 2021
Keywords: chewy peanut butter cookies, peanut butter cookies, easy peanut butter cookies