Look no further for your the perfect holiday cookie! These chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies are rolled in sugar and baked to perfection with no chilling time. Make them for your annual cookie swap or wrap them up to ship to far off friends and family.
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 cup (50 g) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup (170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup dark molasses, not blackstrap
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the molasses and mix on medium-low to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low speed only until incorporated. A few streaks of flour remaining is okay. Do not over mix the dough.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and use a spatula to give the dough one last stir, making sure to scrape down the bottom of the bowl.
- Place the remaining sugar in a small bowl. Using a 2-ounce cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough and use your hands to shape the dough into a smooth round. Dunk the cookie in the bowl of sugar, moving it around until all sides are covered.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet, 2 to 3 inches apart. The cookies will spread as they bake.
- Bake the cookies in the center rack of the oven for 10-11 minutes or until the cookies have puffed up and have cracks on top. The edges should be set. Do not over bake or the cookies will be crispy instead of chewy.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will deflate as they cool.
- Dust the tops with more sugar if desired.
Store cookies tightly covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Cookies may be frozen once baked. Cool completely and then seal in a large freezer bag, laying flat on a freezer shelf or cookie sheet. Cookies will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before serving.
Keywords: chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies, chocolate gingerbread cookies, chocolate ginger cookies