The very best carrot cake cupcakes I’ve ever had! Perfectly light and fluffy, incredibly moist and topped with a dreamy swirl of luscious brown butter cream cheese frosting. Perfect for any occasion!
- 2 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup full fat sour cream (or greek yogurt), room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) freshly grated carrots (from about 4 medium carrots)
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, browned, strained, and chilled until firm for 45-60 minutes
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 cups (600g) confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- *Pro tip: Brown the butter first and place it in the fridge to chill while you make the cupcakes. It will be ready to use once it’s time to whip up the frosting.
- Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
- Wash, peel and grate carrots using a cheese grater. If using pre-grated carrots, cut them into fine pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil and sugars until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, followed by the yogurt. Whisk until incorporated.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients being careful not to over mix.
- When a few streaks of flour remain, fold in the grated carrots and mix until just barely combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way using a cookie scoop or spoon. Do not overfill or cupcakes will spill out over the liners.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- To brown the butter, melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Once melted, continue to stir often and do not leave unattended. The butter will crackle and sizzle as it browns and will begin to foam slightly. Keep stirring occasionally through this stage. Once the sizzling sound stops, continue stirring as golden brown bits will begin to collect in the bottom of the pan. The butter will smell slighty nutty and aromatic. Remove the butter from the heat and strain into a bowl through a fine mesh strainer.
- Refrigerate the browned butter for 45 minutes to one hour until firm and cool to the touch.
- Once chilled, place brown butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Beat butter and cream cheese on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- With mixer on low speed, slowly add confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Once fully incorporated, add vanilla and salt and mix to combine.
- Increase speed to high and beat for one minute until light and fluffy.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and swirl the frosting onto the cupcakes. Or use a spoon or offset spatula to spread the frosting on the tops of cupcakes.
Refrigerate left over cupcakes for up to three days.
Cupcakes may be frozen before frosting.
If a cake is preferred, use batter to make two 8 inch rounds or 2, 8 x 8 snack cake layers.
Keywords: carrot cake cupcakes, carrot cake, carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting