A homemade, rich and chewy brownie filled with mint chip ice cream makes for the perfect summertime treat for all ages!
- I cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate (70% or higher)
- I cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs, plus one egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (all purpose is fine too)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 quarts store-bought mint chip ice cream or any flavor you choose.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray bottom and sides of two 9 x 13 pans with non stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper that extends up and over the sides.
- Set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the chocolate and butter over medium low heat until barely melted. Be sure to stir regularly to prevent burning.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add sugars.
- Whisk to combine completely.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Add to the chocolate and egg mixture and gently fold together until no streaks of flour remain.
- Divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans and use an offset spatula to level the tops. Batter will be thin and may not reach edges of the pan.
- Bake 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs remaining.
- Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Once cool, remove brownies from pans and trim edges with a sharp knife.
- Using a sharp knife or a 2 inch square biscuit cutter, cut individual squares of brownies.
- Set on a parchment lined cookie sheet and freeze for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Cut and peel the carton off of a one quart container of ice cream.
- Set on it’s side and use a sharp knife to slice rounds of ice cream to desired thickness.
- I made the ice cream squares about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Use the same 2 inch biscuit cutter or sharp knife to cut squares of ice cream.
- Set ice cream on top of a chilled brownie square, top with a second square.
- Press together gently and return to freezer for 2 hours or more before serving.
- *Alternatively, ice cream can be softened and spread into a 9 x 13 in pan lined with wax paper. Level the top with an offset spatula and then freeze 4 hours or overnight. Remove from pan when ready to assemble ice cream sandwiches and cut squares using sharp knife or square biscuit cutter.
Square cookies and ice cream can be made in a round version if desired.
Cooking time includes freezing time.
Store in freezer tightly wrapped.