All the best flavors of Fall baked up into an easy and delicious apple cider bundt cake. Sprinkled with a layer of crunchy cinnamon sugar topping and a simple cider glaze, this cake tastes just like your favorite apple cider donut!
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (266 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cups (170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup full fat sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup apple cider (not apple juice)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 4–6 tablespoons apple cider (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a hand held mixer, beat the butter and sugars together on medium until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Reduce the mixer to low and add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl between each addition.
- Add the vanilla and sour cream. Mix well.
- Mix in the flour mixture, alternating with the apple cider. Begin and end with the flour. Mix until just incorporated.
- Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Transfer the batter to the bundt pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Place the bundt pan on a large baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the top of the cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs remaining. Do not over bake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, invert the cake onto a plate or platter. Cool the cake completely before adding the cinnamon sugar topping.
- To coat the cake, use a pastry brush to coat the entire cake with the melted butter. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Immediately sprinkle the cake generously with the cinnamon sugar mixture, using your hands to press it gently into the top and sides of the cake. Use all of the cinnamon sugar topping.
- To make the glaze, stir together the confectioners sugar and apple cider (or milk). Whisk until smooth but pourable. If the glaze is too thick, add more cider or milk. If too thin, add more sugar. Drizzle over the cinnamon sugar topping.
Store the cake tightly covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
To freeze the cake, cool completely and freeze before adding the glaze.
For a gluten free cake, substitute your favorite gluten free flour blend for the all-purpose flour. Do not over bake or the cake may be dry.
Keywords: apple cider bundt cake, apple cider donut bundt cake, apple cider cake