A step-by-step guide to walk you through how to brown butter from start to finish. In just 5 minutes you’ll have perfectly browned butter ready to use in your favorite recipes.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cubed
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir occasionally as it melts.
- Once the butter melts, continue stirring as the butter begins to foam and make a crackling noise. Stay near the pan at this point and continue to stir often. The butter will continue to foam and sputter and then brown bits of butter will begin to form and fall to the bottom of the pan. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Continue to stir until the crackling sounds stop and the butter is a rich, amber hue with bits of brown specks settling at the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the butter from the heat and carefully pour into a medium heat safe bowl.
Cube butter before browning for best results.
Use a light color or silver bottom pan.