If the Fourth of July were a cookie, this would be it! These soft and chewy giant monster cookies are loaded with all the good stuff and then some. Ready in just minutes with simple ingredients, these cookies make a perfectly patriotic treat for kids of all ages.
- 3/4 cup (170 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, plus one egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups (280 g) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 3/4 cup (60 g) quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an eclectic mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugars and peanut butter on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg, followed by the egg yolk. Mixing on low until fully combined.
- Add the vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter and egg mixture and mix only until the dough comes together and a few streaks of flour remain. Do not over mix.
- Remove bowl from mixer and use a spatula to fold in the M&M’s, chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
- Using a two tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking pans. For evenly baked cookies, weight each ball of dough. The cookies you see here are 2 ounces each.
- Bake the cookies for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are slightly golden brown, but the centers are still slightly pale and puffy. Halfway through baking, lift the cookie sheet a few inches above the oven rack and drop it. Repeat if desired. This helps to flatten out the cookie dough, giving you a thinner, chewier cookie texture. If the cookies are still mounded on top at the end of the baking cycle, tap the baking sheet firmly against the countertop again when the cookies come out of the oven. This will help create those delicious pools of melted chocolate.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
**Recipe originally published July 2020
Store tightly covered at room temperature for up to 4 days.
May be frozen. Tightly wrap and freeze flat for up to 2 months.
Keywords: 4th of July monster cookies, monster cookies, patriotic cookies